Looking for moving and packing advice from the experts? You’re in luck! We’ve spent more than thirty years collecting tips and tricks to save you money and improve your moving experience!
- Make your reservations for movers two to four weeks before your move day.
- For large appliances be sure to check your owner’s manuals to see if there are special instructions for moving.
- Don’t try to get rid of your children’s favourite things before the move – even if it makes it easier. Kids sometimes have a hard time dealing with the change of the move itself.
- By law, a moving company can’t transport hazardous materials such as gasoline, bottled gases (propane tanks, etc.) and other flammables, firearms, ammunition, or explosives.
- Pack a box of essential items that you will need immediately after the move and make sure it’s the last thing added to the truck.
- Clean out closets, the attic, and the basement as soon as you decide it’s time to move.
- Make a “survival closet” of things for the last cleanup before you move out – broom, dust cloth, dust pan, mop.
- Remember to get snacks for move day.
- Schedule disconnect times for about a week before your move day -- you don’t want to have to pay for cable, phone and utilities when you aren’t even there!
- Cancel newspapers, cable, pest control, cleaning help, lawn services about a week before the move.
- Mail in your change of address forms about a week before your move date.
- Clean your stove before you move out.
- The day before your move, defrost the fridge.
- Make sure to get enough cash to get you through move day.
- Take time to say goodbye to friends and neighbours before your busy move day.
- If you are depending on friends and family to help you move, have a back-up plan if they don’t show.
A successful move starts with a good packing job. If you're looking for packing tips from the experts, we've got you covered.